TV presenter Samora Mangesi allegedly beaten up and called ‘monkey’ in ‘racially motivated attack’

Samora Mangesi (PHOTO: Samora Mangesi Twitter)
Samora Mangesi (PHOTO: Samora Mangesi Twitter)

Warning: Images may be disturbing to sensitive readers.

Radio and TV presenter Samora Mangesi was allegedly beaten up and called a “monkey” after he stopped to help a group of people whose car had broken down in the West Rand in Johannesburg.

Taking to his Twitter account, Samora revealed, in a thread, that on Friday night he was attacked and beaten until he was unconscious,

“On Friday night I was the victim of a racially motivated attack. After stopping to check on a group of young white people whose car had overturned, they called my friends & I ‘monkeys’. When we engaged them on why we were being called such, they beat me up until I was unconscious,”

The young presenter further alleged that while he was being put in the ambulance one the guys from the group of people that attacked him also tried to run over one of his friend with a bakkie,

“Even whilst I was being put in the ambulance, one of these guys tried to run my friend over with his bakkie and the paramedics had to intervene.”

Samora also added that he got injuries on his face, cuts inside his mouth and bruising along the left side of his body and blacked out for five minutes.

“I sustained injuries on my face, cuts inside my mouth and bruising along the left side of my body from when they kicked me on the ground after one of them had hit me on the back of the head. According to EMS I was out for about 5 min and only regained consciousness in the ambi. [sic]”

Speaking to DRUM, Samora explained, “I am not doing this for revenge, but I have realized that this is a regular occurrence in the West Rand and the next person might not be so lucky.”

According to Samora’s publicist Tshego Kekana, Samora has opened a case against the attackers,

“Samora has opened a case against the attackers at Roodepoort police station, but he does not know how many guys attacked him.”

Drum was given a case number and contacted Roodepoort police station for comment. Although they confirmed the incident was reported at the station, Spokesperson Captain Juanita Yorke asked to be given time to investigate before releasing a statement.

No arrests have yet been made.