Making your very own miracle happen is not always possible. Right now it is, though. Exercise your vote in the comfort of your home, in your car, in the coffee shop . . . and help to place our beloved country on the map internationally and to boost its economy.
Use your mouse, iPhone, BlackBerry or common or garden variety cell to vote Table Mountain in as one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
At the same time you would be throwing in the weight of your enthusiasm behind no fewer than three Nobel Peace prize winners: Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela and F.W. de Klerk.
About 2 500 years ago the seven wonders of the ancient world were picked by a single man. Of those only one remains: the Great Pyramid in Giza, Egypt.
Yet those wonders live tantalisingly in the minds of millions of people. Imagine what it could mean if our South African icon could be as prominent, as enticing in the mind of the average global citizen for the next 2 500 years.
• Tourism has already increased by 300% at sites where the seven man-made wonders of the modern world were announced in 2007.
If Table Mountain were to be chosen as one of the seven natural wonders, South Africa could collect an extra R1,5 billion in the form of tourism. The spin-offs are not to be sniffed at: 11000 permanent new jobs. This is according to an independent economic impact study done by Grant Thornton in March 2011.
• Together with 27 other natural phenomena worldwide, Table Mountain became a finalist among 4 000 other international wonders of nature, which also happened to include the Kruger National Park, the Vredefort dome, Cape Point and the Kalahari. The only other finalist in Africa is Kilimanjaro.
So what makes Table Mountain so special?
- Table Mountain is six times older than the Himalayas
- Table Mountain is home to more plant species than the entire United Kingdom and forms the heart of the Cape fynbos kingdom, the only floral domain in the world found in only one country/province
- A constellation of stars, Mensa, was named after this magnificent mountain
- Apart from all that, it is the only finalist situated in the middle of a bustling city
• Table Mountain is not only a national park but a world heritage site. Almost 90% of the votes already counted come from the international arena. Now it is time for us South Africans to come out in its support!
• Those imprisoned on Robben Island once gazed yearningly at Table Mountain as the symbol of freedom and sweet home. Throughout the ages its solidity welcomed many an exhausted seafarer. Truly, this mountain forms the magnificent backdrop against which our country’s complex history plays itself out.
• The fact that former presidents Nelson Mandela and F.W. de Klerk, as well as archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu, support the campaign, proves that its significance knows no political, cultural or ideological boundaries.
• The members of both the Protea and the Springbok teams, as well as their captains, have given their support.
Coach Peter de Villiers said: “We promise to bring home the Rugby World Cup if you promise to vote for Table Mountain!” The fact that you did not cast your vote yet, may be the reason why they did bring the Cup home.
DO IT NOW
• SMS the word "Table" or "Tafel" to 34874 (R2 – as many times as you like)
• Vote on MXit for 20 moolas – i.e. 20 cent, as many times as you like)
• Vote on the internet: CLICK HERE or go to www.votefortablemountain.com (free, only once)
• Facebook: CLICK HERE or go to New7Wonders on Facebook (free, only once)
The deadline for voting is 11/11/11 at 11 minutes past 11 the morning. But don’t wait till the eleventh hour – vote NOW!