Preparation: 15 Min | Cooking: 20 Min | Serves 4
4 Eskort Pork Chops, bone-in
30ml (2T) chicken spice
30ml (2T) smoked paprika
5ml (1t) garlic powder
5ml (1t) black pepper
30ml (2T) of olive oil
1 packet of Eskort Streaky Bacon
4 knobs of salted butter (separated)
1 large onion, sliced into rings
5ml (1t) sugar
500g of portobello mushrooms
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
30ml (2T) dried thyme
30ml (2T) dried Italian herbs
15ml (1T) flour
250ml (1c) chicken stock
250ml (1c) fresh cream
5ml (1t) fresh parsley
5ml (1t) fresh thyme
Roasted Garlic Mash
45 ml (3T) olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 whole garlic bulb
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
30ml (2T) butter
250ml (1c) full cream milk
salt & pepper to taste
- Take the pork chops out of the fridge and let them sit on the countertop for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Bringing the chops up to room temperature will allow them to cook more evenly and tender.
- Combine the chicken spice, smoked paprika, garlic powder, fresh parsley, thyme and black pepper in a bowl
- Pat the pork chops dry then season them generously with the spice mix on both sides.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil then chop bacon into small pieces and fry, allowing it to render its own fat. Once bacon is brown remove it from the pan making sure you leave its fat in the pan and set it aside.
- To the bacon fat add 1 knob of butter then fry the chops for 3-5 minutes per side until nicely brown.
- Remove chops from the pan and put them on a plate/board. Cover with foil and set aside.
- In the same pan add in sliced onions and sugar and fry till caramelised then remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add another knob of butter as well as the mushrooms and garlic, and then the dried thyme and Italian herbs. Fry for a few minutes until the mushrooms just start to soften, then remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 knobs of butter to the pan. Once they’ve melted, add the flour and stir constantly to form a paste, allowing the paste to cook for 3 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Pour in the chicken stock and stir quickly to ensure you don't get any lumps. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes while stirring regularly
- Then stir in the cream and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes while stirring.
- Now put the chops, onions, mushrooms and bacon back in the pan and make sure everything is nicely coated in the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the chops are cooked through.
- Finish off with chopped fresh parsley.
Mashed potatoes Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut garlic bulb in half across the centre (separating the top and the bottom).
- Place the halved garlic in foil drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then wrap it up to make a parcel and put it in the oven for 1 hour.
- Boil potatoes until soft. Drain excess water then mash them until they’re smooth.
- Add butter and a few roasted garlic cloves and combine well.
- Add milk and salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the chops on mash while still hot.