A sweet and savoury flavour combination with lots of texture, this #JustDelicious dish will have all your taste buds jumping for joy!
1 packet Eskort Honey Glazed Rashers
1 large pot of oil for deep-frying
500ml (2c) flour
60ml (¼c) Eskort Braai Spice
500ml (2c) buttermilk
250ml (1c) cream cheese
45ml (3T) honey
15ml (1T) thyme, chopped
500ml (2c) cake flour
30ml (2T) brown sugar
5ml (1t) baking powder
pinch of salt
375ml (1½c) buttermilk
5ml (1t) vanilla
125ml (½c) butter, melted
- Place a pot of oil over high heat.
- Combine the flour and braai spice in a mixing bowl.
- Dip the rashers into the flour, then the buttermilk and back into the flour (ensure they are well coated).
- Fry the rashers until golden and crispy.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a greased waffle iron and cook until golden and slightly crispy.
- Brush the waffles with the butter and toast them in a hot frying pan for one minute on each side to crisp them up a bit.
- Serve the waffles spread with cream cheese dip and topped with crispy rashers.
TIP Use store-bought waffles to save time. Brush them with butter and lightly toast them in a hot pan before serving.