Switch things up for dinner with this simple stir-fry that packs a major flavour punch. The addition of protein-packed pork makes it a cost-effective dinner solution and it’ll boost your family’s vegetable intake.
30ml (2T) grape vinegar or red wine vinegar
45ml (3T) soy sauce
45ml (3T) tomato sauce
45ml (3T) sweet chilli sauce or chutney
30 ml (2T) cooking oil
500 g pork leg, cubed and then thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, seeds removed and sliced
10ml (2t) finely grated fresh ginger
500ml (2c) cabbage, shredded
500ml (2c) frozen or canned mixed vegetables
500ml (2c) cooked white rice, well drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry meat in batches, until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onion, green pepper and ginger until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the cabbage and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables, rice and meat and stir well.
- Stir in the sauce and allow to simmer for a few minutes or until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Order the stir-fry strips in advance, or ask the butcher to cut the pork leg into strips for you. It's worth the effort!
For more ideas and recipes, visit SA Pork. www.tastyhealthymodernmeat.co.za