“Are we there yet?” “No, but have one of these, you’ll be fine.” Survive the long road and all the questions from the backseat with these #JustDelicious flapjack roll ups.
4 eggs, separated
125ml (½c) castor sugar
5ml (1t) vanilla essence
125ml (½c) oil
250ml (1c) flour
65ml (¼c) buttermilk
salt and pepper
oil for cooking
500g Eskort Red Viennas
125ml (½c) chopped leeks
30ml (2T) dried thyme
handful baby spinach
65ml (¼c) feta cheese
250ml (1c) cream cheese
500ml (2c) grated white cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, castor sugar and vanilla essence until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the oil until well combined.
- Add a third of the flour and mix until well combined. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until smooth, then add another third flour and mix until well combined. Add the remaining buttermilk, mix until smooth then add the remaining flour and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy, add salt and pepper and beat until thick and glossy.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter and combine.
- Grease a frying pan and over medium heat pour in enough batter to cover the surface.
- Cover and cook until golden then turn and cook the other side. Remove from the pan, set aside and repeat until the batter is used.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, fry the leeks and thyme until soft.
- Add the baby spinach and stir until wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the feta.
- Fry the Viennas in a little oil.
- Spread each flapjack with cream cheese and top with cheddar cheese and leek mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.