It’s nearly that time of the year again – that one special day when we take a step back and allow the glory of all things green, bright and beautiful to seep into our pores!
Garden Day, which will be celebrated on 20 October, is the perfect opportunity to unplug from the go-go-go, always-on world and marvel at Mother Nature and all the wonders she bestows on us.
If you’re an avid gardener, down your tools on this day and reap the rewards of your hard work – either by simply appreciating the paradise you created or spending some precious time in your happy place with family and friends.
Garden Day is the time to connect with neighbours and loved ones and embrace the physical and mental benefits that green spaces bring us. And if you don’t have a garden, no worries – head to a park or a friend’s place and go green!
Benefits of gardening
Gardening is great for you in many ways. Here are some reasons why you should get out your hat, pull on your gloves and take out your trowel:
- Ever heard someone say gardening makes them happy? The secret could lie in the soil: research shows mice exposed to the natural bacteria found in soil have increased levels of serotonin, the “happiness hormone”.
- It’s great for coordination. School gardening clubs teach children fine motor skills through tasks such as transplanting seedlings and tying tomatoes to help them grow.
- Gardening gets us outdoors and boosts our health. Pushing a lawnmower for 30 minutes burns 0,6276 kilojoules – equivalent to a moderate gym session. Gardening tasks also keep hand muscles strong and flexible.
- Couples who garden together, stay together – because the pastimes makes them more patient, research shows.
Wondering how to celebrate? Let’s get together and get trending this Garden Day. Arrange a picnic or al-fresco lunch with your neighbours, friends and family, ask everyone to wear a flower crown and get selfie snapping. Post your pics on social media with #GardenDaySA and wow the world with the power of green!
Garden Day fun
1. Get creative with the kids! Make these cute animal masks to wear on #GardenDaySA.
2. Gather with friends and loved ones and host a Garden Day celebration.
3. Be sure to capture your Garden Day festivities. Share the love and enter our competition below!
Head to www.gardenday.co.za for more information and to access fun toolkits to create your very own event invitations and beautiful imagery to post on social media. There are also easy-to-follow tutorials to help you make a flower crown – and you can sign up for Garden Day Flower Crown workshops in Cape Town and Johannesburg.Garden Day was proudly created by Candide, a gardening app. Join the online community for handy gardening tips and information from fellow gardeners & simply download Candide for free.
Here's to kick-starting the movement to unite all South Africans and growing together.
Share the love and win
South Africa unite! Wear your flower crown and show us how you’re celebrating Garden Day. Be sure to tag @drummagazine and @GardenDaySA on social media – don't forget to add #GardenDaySA #GardenDayWin to the post.
You could win a box of Babylonstoren Mourvèdre Rosé.