15ml (2T) olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
250ml (2c) tomatoes,
300g ground beef
125ml (½c) dry red wine
10ml (2t) tomato paste
125ml (½c) beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 large baking potatoes
360g plain flour, plus extra
5ml (1t) salt
- In a pan over low heat, cook the bacon in a little oil until it sizzles.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery, raise the heat to medium-low and cook until soft. Add a little oil if it sticks.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the tomatoes and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown well, stirring occasionally, until all liquid evaporates and the meat sizzles.
- Add the wine and let it cook until the alcohol evaporates, about 7 minutes.
- Mix the tomato paste in the beef stock, season and add to the pot.
- Close the lid and turn the heat to high. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil the unpeeled potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Drain and leave to cool. Peel off the skins, add to a bowl and beat the flesh with an electric whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour and salt.
- Knead for 5 minutes on a floured surface until smooth.
- Divide into 4, roll into sausages about 3cm wide, cut into small chunks and mark with a fork. Put on a floured tray.
- Cook in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes. Drain well and stir into the beef sauce.