The kota (quarter loaf) is a popular street food in many hoods of Gauteng. So popular that Okay Wasabi and Dali Danger created the YouTube KotaPast9 channel with a mission to find the perfect kota. We asked them to show us how to make a kota
4 Eskort Red Viennas
4 Eskort Smoked (or Cheese) Russians
4 slices Eskort French Polony
1 unsliced white bread
oil for deep-frying
500g pre-sliced potato chips
seasoning for chips
4 slices pre-sliced cheese
Thousand Island dressing
chilli sauce (optional)
1 can mild chakalaka
- Cut the bread into 4 quarters.
- Remove the top part of each quarter and set aside.
- Deep-fry the chips in the oil.
- Deep fry the viennas, Russians and polony.
- Season the chips.
- Place the fried ingredients in the quartered bread.
- Add a slice of cheese to each quarter
- Add the sauces.
- Place the top part back on the quarter. Enjoy your kota!