Low-gi bread (makes two loaves)
500g white bread flour
5ml (1t) salt
20ml (4t) baking powder
75g (?c) macadamia nuts
75g (?c) pecan nuts
60g (¼c) sunflower seeds
60g (¼c) poppy seeds
500ml (2c) buttermilk
375g soft soaked dates
8 slices Eskort Double Smoked Ham
180g cherry tomatoes
30ml (2 T) olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
75g (?c) seasonal fresh berries
125ml (½c) white cheddar, grated
125ml (½c) Parmesan cheese, grated
45ml (3T) butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line two bread pans with baking paper and grease with nonstick spray.
- Place the oats into a food processor and pulse until fine.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the nuts and seeds to the flour mixture.
- Add the butter, buttermilk and dates to a small saucepan and heat until the butter has melted. Leave to cool.
- Add the eggs to the mixture and mix well.
- Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fill each bread pan halfway with the dough. Bake for 45-60 minutes until done.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, fry the cherry tomatoes in olive oil until the skins burst. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the berries and simmer for three minutes until a jam forms. Remove from the heat.
- Using 8 slices of seed loaf bread, top a slice of bread with the cherry tomato and berry jam.
- Add two slices of ham and some of the cheeses and place in a heated frying pan, cover with lid until the cheese has melted.
- Sandwich together with another slice of bread.