Share your local pasta recipe for the chance to win awesome prizes with Pasta Grandé – enter now and try this tasty dish for inspiration
Feast on your favourite local flavours with Pasta Grandé. The Northern Cape is home of some of our finest boerewors. Made from the finest beef, pork and secret spices, all the way from Kuruman to Carnarvon. Try our creation – spaghetti with boerewors frikkadels in an onion and tomato relish.
Spaghetti with boerewors frikkadels and onion and tomato relish
Cooking: 40 min | serves 4-6
500g Pasta Grandé spaghetti
105ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped and seeded
15ml (2T) sugar
1 x 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
125ml (½c) water
250ml (1c) tomato passata
30ml (2T) tomato sauce
15ml (2T) fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
30ml (2T) fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
freshly ground salt and black pepper
800g good-quality boerewors
freshly chopped parsley to serve
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, then toss through 30ml (2T) olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 30ml (2T) olive oil over a medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic, chilli and sugar. Gently sauté until the onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, water, pasta, tomato sauce, rosemary and thyme. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring intermittently. The relish should begin to thicken as it reduces. Remove from the heat.
- Using a hand blender (be careful with hot liquid), pulse the tomatoes mixture until almost smooth, leave some chunks. Set aside.
- Using your fingers, squeeze the meat out of the boerewors casings and roughly roll into mini frikkadels.
- Heat the remaining olive oil to a medium-high in a large frying pan and cook the frikkadels in batches for 3-4 minutes each until cooked.
- Mix the relish with the spaghetti and heap onto a serving dish.
- Arrange the frikkadels around the dish.
- Sprinkle with some the parsley and serve immediately.
Win with Pasta Grandé
To celebrate our amazing South African flavours, Pasta Grandé wants to invite you to showcase your pasta dishes. Enter your dish here and share your local pasta recipe with using #MakeItGrande, #MakeItYourWay and #PastaGrande. Include a picture of your Pasta Grandé pack and you could stand a chance to WIN monthly pasta pot prizes to the value of R15 000 and a chance to WIN the Grandé prize of R50 000 in cash. Your recipe could also be featured in the Pasta Grandé eCookbook. Join in on the fun and #MakeItGrande.
For more Pasta Grandé recipes, check out pastagrande.co.za
Keep up with all things Pasta Grandé on Facebook.