This classic layered aubergine bake is given a #JustDelicious upgrade with juicy strips of gammon steak!
2 packs Eskort Gammon Steaks, sliced
4 large aubergines, sliced lengthwise
45ml (3T) coarse salt
45ml (3T) olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
30ml (2T) fresh sage, chopped
30ml (2T) red wine vinegar
750ml (3c) tomato purée
1 can peeled whole baby tomatoes
500ml (2c) cream cheese
500ml (2c Parmesan cheese, grated
1 handful fresh basil
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with coarse salt and allow to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions, garlic and sage until glossy.
- Pour in the red wine vinegar, tomato purée and baby tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Wipe the salt off the aubergine slices.
- Add a tablespoon of cream cheese to a slice and close with another slice to form a sandwich, repeating until all the slices are used.
- Place the aubergine sandwiches in an ovenproof dish and top with gammon steak slices.
- Pour over the tomato sauce, top with grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve the aubergine bake garnished with fresh basil and a dollop of cream cheese.