Frikkadels in tomato sauce
350g Eskort Mini Frikkadels
45ml (3T) olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can (410g) whole peeled tomatoes
250ml (1c) fresh basil, roughly torn
juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over moderate heat and fry the garlic until golden
- Add the frikkadels and fry until golden
- Add the whole tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the basil, lemon juice and zest and remove from the heat
375 g Eskort Peppadew® Peppers & Feta Pork Sausages
12 spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
15ml (1T) olive oil
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and divide the meat from each sausage in half to make 12 mini meatballs.
- Wrap each meatball tightly in a piece of spinach, tucking in the edges.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the dolmades and cover with a lid or foil.
- Fry the meatballs for 4 minutes. Turn, cover and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Keep in the meatballs in the pan until ready to serve.
Deep fried mozzarella
250ml (1c) bread flour
45ml (3T) Moroccan Spice mix
60ml (¼c) milk
250g Mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1 cm slices
250ml (1c) sunflower oil
- Mix the flour and Moroccan Spice mix in a small bowl.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a small bowl.
- Coat the cheese slices in the flour mixture, followed by the egg mixture and flour mixture again.
- Refrigerate on a tray for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the oil a pan over moderate heat and fry the coated cheese slices until golden on both sides.
- Serve hot or at room temperature (hot is better).
2 large brinjals
5ml (1t) salt
125ml (½c) olive oil
60ml (¼c) fresh chives, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
10ml (2t) freshly ground black pepper
zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a griddle pan over high heat.
- Slice the brinjals into 5mm slices, season with salt and allow to sweat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the salt from the brinjals with paper towel, then place them in a bowl with the olive oil.
- Coat the brinjals in olive oil and fry until golden on both sides.
- Add the chives, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice to the remaining oil in the bowl.
- Place the hot brinjals and marinade from the bowl in a sterilised jar or sealable container and refrigerate.
- The brinjals can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Sweet potato skordalia
500ml (2c) sweet potatoes, cooked
4 garlic cloves, boiled in the same water as the sweet potatoes
45ml (3T) olive oil
5ml (1t) white wine vinegar
5ml (1t) salt and freshly ground pepper
- Blend the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6 pitta breads
30ml (2T) olive oil
30ml (2T) freshly chopped parsley
5ml (1t) salt and freshly pepper
Combine the oil, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl and brush the pittas with the mixture.
In a frying pan over moderate heat, fry the pittas on both sides until golden and crispy.
- Serve as a meze platter.
- The skordalia is a great dip for the dolmades. Serve the pittas warm.