Shortcrust pastry filled with a herb pork sausage mixture and bake to golden brown perfection.
250ml (1c) carrot, grated
250ml (1c) onion, chopped
45ml (3T) thyme, chopped
45ml (3T) sage, finely chopped
1 garlic clove
750g Eskort Gold Medal pork sausages
30ml (2T) English hot mustard
30ml (2T) golden syrup
250ml (1c) oats
60ml (¼c) Worcestershire sauce
2 rolls of shortcrust pastry
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a saucepan over moderate heat, fry the carrot, onion, thyme, sage and garlic until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings
- In a large mixing bowl, add the carrot mixture, sausage meat and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Mould the mixture into patties and put in the fridge.
- On a flour-strewn surface, roll and slice the pastry into circles that are slightly bigger than the patties (roll out two circles for each pie).
- Put the patties on half the pastry circles and fold the pastry around the patties.
- Put the remaining pastry circles on top of each patty.
- Pinch the top and bottom pastry circles together to close around the patties.
- Brush with egg and bake for 15-25 minutes.