45ml (3T) olive oil
2 celery stalks, halved and
cut into long strips
2 large onions, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and
1,2kg stewing pork
60ml (4T) cake flour
450g baby potatoes
425ml white wine
45ml (3T) brown sugar
2 bay leaves
15ml (1T) garlic, thinly sliced
15ml (1T) fresh rosemary,
15ml (1T) fresh thyme, plus
extra to garnish
salt and pepper to taste
280g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
10ml (2t) mixed herbs
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron pot and fry the celery, onions and carrots until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Dust the meat with flour and fry in the same pot until browned all over.
- Add the vegetables and the rest of the potjie ingredients to the pot, stir well and cover.
- When the liquid starts to bubble, lower the heat and simmer covered while you prepare the dumplings.
- Sift the flour and salt together. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the herbs and mix well until it forms a dough. Make 6 equal-sized balls from the dough.
- Cook the meat until soft, about 45 minutes, then put the dumplings on top, cover the pot and cook over medium heat for another 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the extra thyme on top and serve warm.