500g Eskort Prego Steaks
2 red onions, sliced into rings
125ml (½c) flour
oil for deep frying
5ml (1t) mustard seeds
125ml (½c) mayonnaise
5ml (1t) vinegar
60ml (¼c) white wine vinegar
60ml (¼c) brown sugar
15ml (1T) thyme, chopped
200g butternut, grated or julienned
4 bagels, sliced
30ml (2T) butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fry the prego steaks 5 minutes pm each side over high heat in olive oil. Remove from the heat.
- Place the onions in a Ziploc bag together with the flour. Shake the bag well to coat.
- Deep fry the onions in a pot over high heat until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the oil and season with salt.
- In a small pan over a medium heat lightly toast the mustard seeds for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and crush with the blade of a knife.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mustard seeds, mayonnaise and vinegar.
- In a small pan heat the vinegar, sugar and thyme over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to boil.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the butternut and mix through well.
- Spread the bagels with butter and lightly toast in a frying pan.
- Spread the toasted bagels with a generous amount of the mayonnaise mixture. Add steak and butternut pickle and finish with the rocket and onion rings. Season with salt and pepper