An anytime pick-me-upper for the winter blues, this flavourful risotto will give you zest for life!
1 Eskort Smoked Eisbein
500g pumpkin, peeled and cut into blocks
60ml (¼c) olive oil
60ml (¼c) butter
1 red onion, thinly sliced
15ml (1T) fresh thyme, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
15ml (1T) fresh rosemary, chopped
5ml (1t) black pepper
500ml (2c) risotto rice
1,5L (6c) vegetable stock
2 jalapeno chillies, chopped
zest and juice of 1 lemonextra fresh herbs Method
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Arrange the pumpkin on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil over a high heat. Add the eisbein, in the bag, and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the bag, debone and slice into thin strips.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and melt the butter over high heat.
- Fry the onion, thyme, garlic and rosemary until the onions are glossy.
- Season the onion mixture with the black pepper, add the risotto rice and fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in a cup of the stock, stirring until the stock is completely absorbed.
- Repeat the process until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Add the jalapenos and pumpkin then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir the eisbein strips into the risotto. Plate the risotto and top with the lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs.
This recipe contains dairy (lactose).