200g Eskort Rindless Streaky Bacon
1,5L (6c) water
5ml (1t) salt
5ml (1t) vanilla essence
15ml (1T) butter
500ml (2c) maize meal
250ml (1c) castor sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the streaky bacon on a greased baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Bring the water to the boil and add the salt, vanilla essence and butter.
- Whisk the maize meal into the water, lower the temperature and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 banana and whisk into the maize porridge.
- Add half the castor sugar and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Slice the 2 remaining bananas in half lengthwise.
- Add the rest of the castor sugar to a pan over high heat. Add the bananas cut-side down and allow to caramelise.
- Serve a portion of porridge with extra butter, a banana slice and a few rashers of bacon.