Waffle with maple whipped mascarpone & bbq pork neck (a hearty summer breakfast)
BBQ Pork Neck
450g Eskort Fresh Pork Neck Steaks
Eskort Braai Spice/ BBQ spice
30 ml (2T) olive oil
(You can also use readymade waffle mix)
2 large eggs
90ml (6T) castor sugar
5ml (1t) vanilla essence
125ml (½c) canola oil
500ml (2c) cake flour
30ml (2T) ground ginger
20ml (1c) baking powder
440ml (14/5c) milk
2,5ml (½t) salt
Maple whipped mascarpone
250ml (1c) mascarpone cheese
125ml (½c) maple syrup
1 punnet table grapes
fresh herbs (eg rocket, chives or spring onion)
- Crack the eggs, keeping the egg yolks and whites in separate bowls.
- Whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence and oil and whisk until combined.
- Sift the flour, ginger and baking powder together.
- Fold half of the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture until well combined. Add the milk and whisk until blended.
- Add the other half of the flour to the batter mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter mixture.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated, greased waffle iron and cook until the waffles are golden and crisp.
BBQ pork neck steaks:
- Slice the pork neck steaks into strips. Drizzle with oil, season with the spice and fry over moderate heat in a pan until done. Set aside.
Maple whipped mascarpone:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the mascarpone cheese and maple syrup until light and fluffy.
- Serve the waffles with a generous dollop of maple mascarpone, topped with pork neck strips and garnished with grapes and herbs.