Did you miss the BIG event? Here’s a recap and some extra-yummy White Star recipes to try
Were you a part of the #SABiggestBreakfast event? White Star hosted the biggest virtual breakfast via their Facebook page on Saturday 8 August, and proved not even lockdown could get them down.
The eagerly awaited #SABiggestBreakfast campaign, hosted annually by White Star Instant Porridge, went virtual this year due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions. The popular event is aimed at highlighting the importance of breakfast and involves families throughout the country taking part in hosting the biggest breakfast occasion.
People may not have been allowed to gather in person (SBWL an event in real life), but it allowed for a BIGGER celebration.
There was entertainment and appearances by the biggest stars – plus a beat battle between Lerato Kganyago and Black Motion. Other celebrities and influencers who joined the virtual breakfast occasion included Lady D (Dudu Khoza); Mr Gwej’s Kitchen; K Naomi; and the reigning Miss Soweto, Musawenkosi Gumede. Loads of prizes were also up for grabs, including cash just for joining the event!
Winning with White Star
Lungani Ndawonde was the lucky winner of R5 000 cash and the one and only Lerato K walked away with 3 tonnes of White Star Instant Porridge, which will be donated to her charity of choice after her winning set, as shown on the White Star Facebook page.
The artist generating the most hashtags during the course of the performance and live competition was given the opportunity to donate an awesome 3 000 packs of White Star Instant Porridge 1kg packs to a charity of their choice.
Every vote counted, and White Star will donate 1kg pack of White Star Instant Porridge to charity for each entry received.
Click here to watch the event video if you missed out
Yummy recipe inspiration
You can still have a White Star party for your taste buds – try these delicious recipes.
White Star Potato Rosti
How to serve it: Enjoy warm, topped with a soft poached egg and your other breakfast favourites, including cherry tomatoes, bacon and sausages.
What you will need
500ml (2c) cooking oil for frying
3 large potatoes, grated
1 white onion, grated
salt and pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
White Star Instant Porridge Original Flavour
1 large egg
5ml (1t) cornflour
How to make it
- In a frying pan, add the oil and heat up on the stove.
- While the oil is heating up, in a medium bowl, add the potato, onion, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder and mix well. Once the seasoning is mixed in, add the White Star Instant Porridge and the cornflour and mix well before adding the egg. Add the egg and mix well.
- The oil should be hot enough for frying by now. Scoop out the mixture and place into the hot oil, then press down with a spoon to form a patty-like shape.
- Cook until golden brown ensuring the rostis are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Once cooked, drain on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.
White Star biscuits
How to serve it: Enjoy with your favourite tea or coffee.
What you will need
375ml (1½c) cake flour?
125ml (½c) White Star Instant Maize Porridge Vanilla Flavour?
2,5ml (½t) salt?
180ml (¾) unsalted butter, room temperature?
125ml (½c) castor sugar?
15ml (1T) fine lemon zest?
2 large egg yolks, room temperature ?
freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
125ml (½c) milk ?
125ml (½c) butter ?
60ml (¼c) icing sugar?
freshly squeezed juice? of 2 lemons
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.?
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, White Star Instant Maize Porridge and salt and set aside.?
- ?Beat the butter, castor sugar and lemon zest on medium-high until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks and lemon juice. Gradually add the flour mixture and milk and mix until just combined.?
- ?Shape the dough into balls and arrange in rows on the baking tray, spaced well apart, then press each down with a fork.
- ?Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or watch until they are golden but make sure they are still soft in the centre.
- ?While they bake, beat the butter with the sugar and lemon juice to make the filling.? Sandwich two biscuits with the filling.