for subscribers

Six hours of your time can save a life - donate bone marrow

Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Nonhlanhla Mtshali received a bone marrow transplant in 2017 and is now living her best life.
Nonhlanhla Mtshali received a bone marrow transplant in 2017 and is now living her best life.
SUPPLIED

Can there be any greater gift than the gift of life?

Every year, hundreds of South Africans with blood diseases such as leukaemia reach the point where their only chance of survival is a bone marrow transplant.

For about 30% of patients, a matched donor can be found in their own family. But for the other 70%, their only hope is to find a matched unrelated donor identified by the South African Bone Marrow Registry (SABMR).

There’s more to this story
Subscribe to News24 and get access to our exclusive journalism and features today.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in