They dated for 18 years, have been married for nine years, and are the best of friends.
Celebrity couple, Mthokozisi “DJ Tira” Khathi (44) and wife Gugu Khathi toast to yet another achievement.
This year marks 22 years since DJ Tira caught the music bug and he has been discovering music stars and helping their dreams come true since then.
To celebrate more than two decades, this Friday he releases his second studio album, Rockstar Forever. The 10-track album is a mixture of soulful house music, qqom, dance, maskandi, gospel, Amapiano melodies, and a bit of kwaito. It features Q Twins, Dladla Mshunqisi, Beast, Worst Behaviour and a few others.
Gugu shares fun interesting facts about her hubby, DJ Tira:
1. Besides the birth of his kids and marrying the love of his life, Gugu says Tira feels fulfilled when he discovers new talent.
“He loves seeing young people win. He goes out of his way to try and help. This man has visited young talented people living in squatter camps, sat on broken beds, all to help talented people get out of their situation and live their dreams.”
2. Gugu says Tira despises negativity.
“He is immune to negative energy. He constantly wants to think and feel good and avoids anything that will throw him off and that energy is very contagious for people around him.”
3. She says DJ Tira is generous and often does random acts of kindness for strangers which has allowed him to remain humble.
“When he is feeling down, he goes into his DMs on social media and looks for people who are asking for a life-changing experience. He has given someone a wheelchair, not necessarily related to music.”
4. While he's made hundreds of gqom music hits, Gugu says Tira loves hip-hop music and listens to a lot of RnB.
“He is a big fan of DJ Khaled and loves his classics. In South Africa, he adores Emtee, A-Reece, Riky Rick, and AKA. His favourite RnB artists are Keyshia Cole and Teddy Pendergrass.”
5. He may not look buff, but Gugu says Tira loves working out. “He believes in boosting his mindset by keeping fit, staying active, and eating well.”
6. Being an entertainer, he's often seen as outgoing and extroverted, but Gugu says he is a reserved person.
“He loves people and the spotlight, but my husband is very shy.”
7. After a long day of work and traveling, Gugu says DJ Tira loves to be home with family.
“Family time means everything to him. He goes out of his way to always be available and make time for the family. It is what keeps him grounded.”
His album Rockstar Forever will be available across all digital platforms from 25 June 2021.