- - salt
- 5ml - each crushed garlic and ginger
- - juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 5ml - ground coriander
- - salad greens (optional)
- 1 - carrot, grated
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
- 50g - sultanas
- 3 - chicken breast fillets, halved and flattened with the heel of your hand
- 500g - self-raising flour
- 5ml - smoked paprika
- 300ml - plain doublecream yoghurt OR buttermilk
- - oil for shallow-frying
- - campfire baked potatoes and onions
- 50g - peanuts
- 300ml - beer
- - extra flour for dusting
- 10ml - roasted curry powder or mild curry paste
- - mayonnaise
- 1/4 - cabbage
- 125ml - plain double-cream yoghurt
- 1/2 - red onion, cut into rings
- 1 - banana, sliced
- 375ml - white breadcrumbs
1 GRIDDLE BUN
Mix the ingredients and divide into six equal portions.
Roll each into a bun and sprinkle flour over.
Braai over medium coals until done – they should sound hollow when tapped.
Mix the garlic, ginger, spices and yoghurt or buttermilk.
Season the chicken breast fillets with salt and pepper.
Dip in the seasoning mixture and roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
Set aside for 30 minutes.
Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the chicken on the stovetop or over braai coals for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown all over and cooked inside.
Cover the pan for the last 5 minutes to finish cooking the chicken by steaming.
Mix the yoghurt, lemon juice, zest and curry powder.
Add the vegetables, banana (if using), sultanas and peanuts, and mix.
5 TO FINISH
Halve the griddle buns and put a piece of chicken on the bottom half of each. Spoon mayonnaise over, followed by coleslaw. Top with salad greens (if using) and the other half of the bun.
6 TO SERVE
Serve with campfire baked potatoes and onions.