- - grilled orange halves (optional)
- 1 - medium onion, diced
- 250ml - milk
- 30ml - chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- 15ml - leaf masala
- 250ml - fresh cream
- 50g - butter
- TO SERVE -
- 30ml - orange juice
- 30ml - chopped orange rind to garnish
- - salt and black pepper
- 1kg - butternut, cubed
- 500ml - chicken stock
- 60ml - maize meal
1. In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the butter and sauté the onion. Add the masala and fry with the onion until lightly browned.
2. Add the butternut and sauté.
3. Add the stock, orange juice and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the maize meal and stir through. Cover with the lid and boil until the butternut is soft. Stir occasionally.
5. Using a stick blender (or a food processor), blend the soup until smooth. The colour should be deep yellow and the mixture should be creamy.
6. Add 200ml cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. To serve Serve hot in heated bowls. Garnish each serving with a drizzle of the remaining cream, the parsley, some orange rind and an orange half (if using).