Momentum reviewing 3 years of rejected claims after death benefit about-turn

accreditation

Momentum has reviewed claims on life policies dating back to 2016 so far, which it rejected under circumstances similar to the death of slain policy holder Nathan Ganas.

The financial services and insurance group on Tuesday backtracked on its earlier decision not to pay a R2.4m life insurance claim to the Ganas family, due to Ganas's failure to disclose that he suffered from elevated blood sugar levels.

The company initially cited non-disclosure of his health condition as grounds for rejecting the death benefit, although it was not the cause of his death. According to Momentum, they became aware of his condition when they requested his health records after receiving the claim - a standard industry procedure, according to the company.

The legal wrangle between Momentum and Ganas's widow over the claim drew public outrage, prompting the group's sudden turnaround. On Tuesday it announced it had created a policy to pay out an amount equal to the death benefit, limited to a maximum of R3m, in the cases where violent crime caused a client's death. These would be paid out regardless of previous medical history.

"Other than Mrs Ganas, we have identified other cases which we are currently reviewing. We have reviewed records up to and including 2016," said Momentum CEO Johann le Roux on Wednesday. "We are only reviewing claims declined due to non-disclosure where the cause of death was violent."

Ganas was killed in a shooting accident in March 2017, and his wife denied knowing that he suffered from high blood sugar levels.

Le Roux said the payout of reviewed claim solution "is capped at the client’s sum assured up to a maximum of R3m".

The company could not say how much the process would cost the company, only stating the total cost will depend on the number of clients identified. 

Momentum’s decision not to pay the claim was supported by a ruling from the Ombudsman for Long Term Insurance; however, the decision drew public anger, with clients taking to social media with threats to cancel their policies.

According to the company, less than 50 policy holders had cancelled their contracts since the Ganas saga dominated media from last week.

"To date … we can confirm that less than 50 policies have been cancelled. However, a number of our clients have taken up this opportunity to advise us of information they have not previously shared," said Le Roux.

"We are interacting with these clients on a case by case basis."

Treasury's deputy director general Ismail Momoniat has welcomed the Momentum decision, stating that government would continue to work with the Financial Sector Conduct Authority to engage with industry to review whether current standards are going "far enough" to treat customers fairly.

* Sign up to Fin24's top news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO FIN24 NEWSLETTER

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
14.37
-0.6%
Rand - Pound
20.03
-0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.02
+0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.64
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.4%
Gold
1,802.47
-0.5%
Silver
25.28
-0.4%
Palladium
2,657.11
+0.2%
Platinum
1,014.00
-1.3%
Brent Crude
70.38
-2.8%
Top 40
62,297
-0.7%
All Share
68,490
-0.6%
Resource 10
69,142
-3.6%
Industrial 25
86,456
+0.3%
Financial 15
13,578
+3.7%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Should pension fund members be allowed to access their savings before retirement?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, it's their money to do with as they please.
34% - 175 votes
No, more people will end up without enough savings in retirement.
36% - 187 votes
Depends on how big the withdrawal limits will be.
30% - 154 votes
Vote