Amazon.com briefly became America’s second trillion-dollar company on Tuesday after adding $434bn to its market cap this year.
No one has benefited more than founder Jeff Bezos, who has added $67bn to his fortune this year, giving him a $167bn net worth on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as of 12:30 p.m. in New York on Tuesday.
Here are six ways to put that $67bn gain into context:
1. It’s more than the entire market capitalization of FedEx Corp.
2. Bezos’s gain this year alone would make him the seventh-richest person on Earth, ahead of Mexico’s Carlos Slim and Alphabet's Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
3. It’s about the equivalent of Walt Disney Co.’s blockbuster bid for most of the assets of 21st Century Fox.
4. His wealth has increased by an average of about $8 million an hour in 2018.
5. It’s roughly 10 times Amazon’s total net income since it went public in 1997.
6. The 499 other billionaires on the Bloomberg ranking have added a net combined $8.3 billion to their fortunes this year.
* Sign up to Fin24's top news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO FIN24 NEWSLETTER