Johannesburg, Africa’s richest city, was built with profits from gold seams running through the region. Today, the country’s gold-mining industry seems headed for a decline, with output dropping for an eighth straight month through May, as aging infrastructure, depleted reserves and accidents raise costs and curb volumes.
Gold Fields’ huge, but problematic, South Deep mine could help slow the contraction - if the company can turn it around.
- Fate of South African gold rests on one giant, loss-making mine
- AngloGold's Pityana warns SA on 'reckless' mining rules
- Gold producers table wage offers, lament dire conditions
- SA gold mining production down 16.2% in a year - StatsSA
- INFOGRAPHIC: Descend into the world’s deepest gold mine - in SA
* SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE UPDATE: Get Fin24's top morning business news and opinions in your inbox.