Pretoria - The Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) urged the local travel and tourism industry to be vigilant on Tuesday following terror alerts issued by the US, Britain and Australia for their citizens in the country.
In a statement, TBCSA CEO Mmatšatši Ramawela said that, during a time when the travel industry was trying to find its feet following tough trading conditions, terror alerts were the last thing they needed.
"The Council has also noted with appreciation that, in response, the South African security agencies have increased their presence and vigilance at the country’s shopping malls and centres," she said in a statement.
She added that travel agencies should still be wary of the possibility that the threats could be real.
"While the TBCSA doesn't wish to cause panic in the market place, the Council has, however, advised its members to be vigilant and to ensure that they put extra measures in place to look after their clientele in view of these terror alerts."
Earlier on Tuesday, News24 reported that an East African businessman living in South Africa was said to be behind the security alert issued by the United States Embassy in Pretoria over the weekend.
A source with access to South African intelligence said, however, that the businessman was believed to be a "discredited" informer who was allegedly only after the money he would be paid for the information.