Eskom CEO Phakamani Hadebe says the power utility has made considerable progress in clearing up disciplinary and criminal cases against implicated officials from within, concluding 822 of the 1 049 disciplinary cases that commenced since April.
Speaking to Parliament’s portfolio committee on public enterprises on Wednesday, Hadebe said 97 of these 822 finalised cases led to employees leaving the organisation.
The public enterprises committee showed a proactive resolve to fight corruption and the state capture project at Eskom, getting a parliamentary inquiry into Eskom rolling last year.
"Eleven implicated senior executives exited.
"The finalisation of our outstanding disciplinary hearings relating to senior executives is being accelerated. Eleven criminal cases have been opened and five of these involved nine senior executives," Hadebe told the committee.
Hadebe said of 239 instances of whistle blowing, 122 were concluded, with disciplinary cases underway for 67 of these cases.
He also said Eskom was taking action in conflict of interest cases, where 25 staff were working for Eskom, while owning and/or directing businesses doing business with Eskom. Seven of these employees had already left the company, he said.
"We have investigated all irregular supplier contracts. So far five investigated suppliers are no longer doing business with Eskom and the amount spent with these companies in the past three years is R2.3bn. We have recovered R1bn from McKinsey including interest," Hadebe said.
He said Eskom was continuing with internal lifestyle audits and the declaration of interests.* Sign up to Fin24's top news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO FIN24 NEWSLETTER