Eskom has decided not to proceed with its intended interruption of supply to the West Rand Power Distributors on February 20, the power utility announced on late on Friday afternoon.
Fin24 reported in January that Eskom had warned that it will disconnect supply to Westrand Power Distributors owing to unpaid bills amounting to over R18m. Such a disconnection would also affect the mining community of Westvillage.
In December last year Eskom published a public notice, calling on all affected parties to make submissions to indicate why Eskom should or should not proceed with the contemplated interruptions.
Eskom said on Friday it had received "substantial submissions" by interested parties and are busy reviewing those.
"In order for us to meaningfully engage and consider all the submissions received, it was seen as necessary to further postpone the decision to February 11, 2020. The public will be given 14 days' notice from the date of publication should Eskom's final decision adversely affect them," said Daphne Mokoena, senior manager for customer services in the Gauteng Operating Unit.
"Eskom trusts that this decision will encourage the affected parties to put pressure on the West Rand Power Distributors to comply with its contractual obligations and make good on the repayment of the electricity debt."
* Compiled by Carin Smith