Johannesburg - Chief executive officer of state-owned power utility Eskom, Brian Molefe, has quit.
Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe confirmed that Molefe had quit in a series of tweets posted on Friday afternoon.
“Eskom CEO Brian Molefe today announced that he'll voluntarily step down from Eskom with effect from 1 January 2017,” said Phasiwe.
“Mr Molefe says he'll take take time off to reflect before deciding on his next career move,’
Phasiwe said that Molefe’s “stepping down was not an act of admission of wrongdoing on his part”.
Molefe has come under the spotlight in the last week for appearing in the Public Protector’s State of Capture report.
The report paints his close relationship with the controversial Gupta family and also questions the sale of Glencore’s Optimum mine to Tegeta.
But before controversy struck him at Eskom, he had established himself as a well-known leader in South Africa's public sector.
Here is a brief outline of his career to date:
Eskom CEO Brian Molefe has done the right thing by resigning as it would be inappropriate for him to lead Eskom when a judicial inquiry is launched, says Chris Yelland.
Eskom CEO Brian Molefe resigned because he had no credibility left after the Public Protector’s state capture report, says an economist.
Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter: