Johannesburg - Companies operating mines are sidestepping rules in plans for restructuring that may cut about 20 000 jobs, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said.
There’s “underlying deliberate circumvention of current regulatory framework,” the National Union of Mineworkers said in a statement. About 30 companies have issued notices that could ultimately lead to 20 000 job losses, it said on Thursday.
Operators failed to follow rules to notify the minerals minister if 10% of a workforce or more than 500 people are likely to lose their jobs in a year, the NUM said.
The Chamber of Mines industry lobby denied the allegation.
Mine operators advise the ministry in line with the law, Elize Strydom, chief negotiator for the chamber, said in an emailed reply to questions. “The companies are very concerned about the sustainability of the industry, and with it jobs.”
The rule on advising the minister is set out in Section 52 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act of 2002.
Wage talks between unions and gold producers including AngloGold Ashanti [JSE:ANG], Sibanye Gold [JSE:SGL] and Harmony Gold Mining [JSE:HAR] are expected to start this month. The NUM last month asked Minerals Minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi to prevent 3 040 job cuts at Harmony Gold Mining.
ALSO READ: Harmony plans to soften job cut blow