New minimum wage for hospitality sector

Cape Town - The minimum wage for SA's hospitality sector has been revised upward with effect from July 1 2017.

The latest increase was arrived at using the consumer price index of 6.4% plus 1.5%. The total increase is, therefore, 7.9%.

The new Hospitality Sectoral Determination, which governs the minimum wage rate in the sector, will be effective until June 30 2018.

The minimum rate for employers with 10 or fewer employees will be a monthly wage of R3 193.12 - compared to R2 959.35 in 2016/2017. The new weekly rate is R736.92 - compared to R689.97 in 2016/2017 - and the hourly rate of is now R16.36 - compared to R15.17 in 2016/2017.

The new wages for employers with more than 10 employees will be a minimum monthly rate of R3 559.10 - compared to R3 298.52 in 2016/2017. The new weekly rate is R821.34 - compared to R761.25 in 2016/2017 - and the hourly rate is now R18.25 - compared to R16.91 in 2016/2017.

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:

ZAR/USD
17.27
(-1.50)
ZAR/GBP
22.58
(-1.29)
ZAR/EUR
20.31
(-1.29)
ZAR/AUD
12.28
(-1.01)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(-1.60)
Gold
1973.60
(-0.37)
Silver
24.32
(-0.33)
Platinum
908.00
(+0.72)
Brent Crude
43.61
(0.00)
Palladium
2103.00
(+2.14)
All Share
55797.71
(+0.14)
Top 40
51515.48
(+0.29)
Financial 15
9936.52
(-2.16)
Industrial 25
74900.79
(+0.53)
Resource 10
55992.65
(+0.78)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Do you think it was a good idea for the government to approach the IMF for a $4.3 billion loan to fight Covid-19?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes. We need the money.
11% - 797 votes
It depends on how the funds are used.
74% - 5282 votes
No. We should have gotten the loan elsewhere.
15% - 1047 votes
Vote