Cape Town - The Public Servants Association (PSA) said that it and the National Horseracing Authority would on Thursday announce a “joint action plan" against Markus Jooste at the upcoming Sun Met horse race.
The media briefing will be hosted by top officials from the PSA, the Federation of Unions of South Africa (Fedusa) and the NHRA.
Jooste, who stepped down as the CEO of international furniture retailer Steinhoff amid an accounting scandal in early December, is a noted horse racing owner and enthusiast.
The PSA had previously called for a boycott of the event, one of the most important dates on the SA horse racing calendar.
PSA spokesperson Tahir Maepa told Fin24 on Wednesday afternoon that while a protest was still set to take place at the race, it would be a broad “solidarity protest” against Jooste, and not against the NHRA or the race itself.
“Our fight is not against the Sun Met or the National Horseracing Authority, but against Jooste,” he said.
Further details would be announced on Thursday.
The race is set to take place on Saturday in Cape Town at the Kenilworth Racecourse.
The PSA said it would also on Thursday release the preliminary findings of its investigation into Steinhoff.
This after Steinhoff, which is headquartered in Stellenbosch, last week allowed Fedusa and the PSA to access financial documents dating as far back as 2002.
“The PSA obtained financial and administrative information in support of planned civil and criminal charges the union intends launching against the Steinhoff’s directors and prescribed officials owing to pension investment losses suffered by PSA members following Steinhoff’s collapse,” the association said in a statement on Wednesday.
The NHRA, in a separate media release, said it was “currently in discussions with the PSA with regards to the Sun Met and Mr Markus Jooste’s participation”.
“Further announcements will be made after the discussions with the PSA have been concluded,” it said.