Cape Town – National Treasury said the process of filling the director general position at the department is well under way, after Lungisa Fuzile announced his resignation last month.
“The position was advertised and closed on the 28 April 2017,” Treasury said in a statement on Wednesday. “More than 30 applications have been received including internal candidates. The shortlisting process has been finalised and the interviews will take place shortly.”
Fuzile told guests at a UCT Graduate School of Business event on Tuesday that he has no regrets about leaving Treasury after 19 years of working there, and after six years as the director general.
“I am ready to try something else with a clean conscience,” he said. “I don't have regrets: after 19 years, I will be very happy to watch government from outside.
“I have bought a very big box of tissues for Monday; I know i am going to cry,” he quipped. “Don't make it harder than it already it is.”
Fuzile's resignation follows the removal of Pravin Gordhan and Mcebisi Jonas as minister and deputy minister of finance respectively at the end of March.
WATCH: Lungisa Fuzile on leaving Treasury