Fancy yourself a general knowledge whizz? Then enter this week's quiz online here. The answers will be published right here on 24 February 2020. Good luck!
Below are the answers to the questions to ‘Quiz #229: 13 January-27 January, which appeared in the 16 January edition of the magazine.
1. Name the new CEO of Absa.
2. True or false? In January 2020, Shiraaz Mohamed, a South African photojournalist kidnapped in Syria by the Islamic State three years ago, returned home.
3. The late former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe granted value added tax (VAT) exemptions of about $200 000 to his wife. What is her name?
4. The MTN Group sold its stake in its tower assets in Ghana and which other African country?
5. On 3 January 2020, the US launched an airstrike on a convoy travelling near Baghdad International Airport, killing an Iranian major general. What was his name?
Major general Qasem Soleimani.
6. True or false? State-owned South African Airways (SAA) has been placed into business rescue.
7. How many public holidays will South Africa have in 2020, as determined by the Public Holidays Act?
8. On 6 January 2020, business icon and the man known as the father of black retail in South Africa, Richard Maponya, passed away. What is the name of the mall he co-developed in Soweto?
9. True or false? Eskom’s new CEO, André de Ruyter, started his career at Sasol, straight out of university.
BONUS QUESTION IN THE MAGAZINE:
Which film won the Best Motion Picture (drama) award at the 2020 Golden Globes?