Samsung promises its smartphones won't explode again

Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Mobile

Johannesburg - In efforts to ensure safety of future products after the Note 7 fiasco, electronics manufacturer Samsung has implemented an '8-point battery safety check'.  

“Since the Galaxy Note 7 recall, we’ve re-assessed every step of the smartphone manufacturing process and developed the 8-point battery safety check,” the South Korean giant said. 

“It involves putting our batteries through extreme testing, inside and out, followed by careful inspection by X-ray and the human eye. We are making a stronger commitment to safer devices,” Samsung went further to say. 

READ: Samsung SA confirms Note 7 is dead

The safety check is a series of tests that include a durability, visual inspection, x-ray, charge and discharge, a total volatile organic compound test, disassembling test, accelerated usage test, delta open circuit voltage test and a final durability test. 

The check begins with enhanced battery testing, including overcharging tests, nail puncture tests and extreme temperature stress tests.

An X-ray is then used to see the inside of the battery for any abnormalities, before a charge and discharge test.

The battery is then tested to make sure there isn't a possibility of leakage of the volatile organic compound. A disassembling test is done after.

A test simulating accelerated consumer usage scenarios is done, while a change in voltage test takes place throughout the manufacturing process from component level to assembled device, Samsung said.

READ: Note 7 'recall' kiosks coming to SA airports

In a presentation and news conference on Monday, Samsung detailed the results of a probe into reports of numerous Note 7 smartphones that overheated and burst into flames.

The company cited flaws in battery manufacturing and design. Samsung said it's also taken full legal responsibility and vowed never to let it happen again.

On October 10 last year, a global recall of the device was done with production of the device officially ending. 

The Note 7 was banned by numerous airlines across the world late last year, including South African Airways (SAA). 

SAA previously told Fin24: “South African Airways has taken a decision to prohibit the charging of Samsung Note 7 mobile phones on board all its aircraft.”

A similar stance was taken by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and four other Australian airlines.

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
USD/ZAR
14.06
+0.1%
GBP/ZAR
19.72
+0.3%
EUR/ZAR
17.13
+0.2%
AUD/ZAR
11.05
+0.2%
JPY/ZAR
0.13
+0.1%
Gold
1,831.32
0.0%
Silver
27.45
0.0%
Palladium
2,929.64
0.0%
Platinum
1,256.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
68.28
+0.3%
Top 40
62,573
+1.4%
All Share
68,520
+1.4%
Resource 10
71,474
+2.1%
Industrial 25
86,856
+0.9%
Financial 15
12,711
+1.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, and I've gotten it.
21% - 1388 votes
No, I did not.
52% - 3467 votes
My landlord refused
27% - 1840 votes
Vote