UPDATE: Samsung SA confirms Note 7 is dead

accreditation
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Mobile

UPDATE: "For the benefit of consumers' safety, we stopped sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 and have consequently decided to stop production," - Samsung South Africa.


Johannesburg - South Africans waiting for Samsung’s controversial Note 7 to hit the local market may never see it – this after Samsung killed off the device on Tuesday. 

Global production of the device will completely stop, Samsung said in a statement Tuesday.

After numerous exploding devices were reported in the US and Asia, Samsung did a global recall of the device. 

Earlier on Tuesday the company urged Note 7 users to immediately switch off their device, stop using it altogether and get a refund. 

READ: Samsung urges Note 7 users to turn off device

Bloomberg reported that Samsung shares fell 8% on Tuesday, wiping out about $17 billion of market value. 

The company originally introduced the Note 7 in August and then recalled the initial shipment of 2.5 million phones after a spate of battery fires. 

It is now investigating incidents with replacement devices that the company inititally thought were safe.

Banning by airlines

The Note 7 was banned by numerous airlines across the world earlier this year, including South African Airways (SAA). 

SAA previously told Fin24: “South African Airways has taken a decision to prohibit the charging of Samsung Note 7 mobile phones on board all its aircraft.”

This similar stance was taken by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and four other Australian airlines. 

READ: 'Safe' Note 7 coming to SA despite exploding on plane

Reports suggested that charging the device without the original charger led to the damages.

The highly anticipated 'phablet' smartphone was launched in South Africa in early-August, boasting a major upgrade and newer features when compared to its predecessor. 

Samsung South Africa earlier announced numerous availability dates, delayed by the recalls and incidents around the device. 

The last date set for the device’s availability locally was November 11. 

Fin24 approached Samsung South Africa for comment, but feedback was not immediately available. 

@KyleVenktess on Twitter.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
14.25
+0.3%
Rand - Pound
19.81
-0.3%
Rand - Euro
16.97
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.73
-0.3%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.3%
Gold
1,783.08
+1.1%
Silver
25.96
+0.6%
Palladium
2,563.50
+3.9%
Platinum
1,051.00
+1.2%
Brent Crude
73.51
+0.6%
Top 40
59,472
-0.1%
All Share
65,564
-0.1%
Resource 10
61,142
+0.3%
Industrial 25
87,978
+0.0%
Financial 15
12,871
-1.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Should government have assigned a majority shareholding in SAA to the private sector?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, It's a good decision
66% - 232 votes
Not a good move
9% - 33 votes
Too early to tell
25% - 88 votes
Vote