Johannesburg - Discovery continued to dominate South Africa’s medical insurances industry with almost a million more beneficiaries than the government employees’ juggernaut medical aid, the Government Employees Medical Scheme (GEMS).
This is according to the latest statistics released by the Council for Medical Schemes (CMS), the regulator of the medical schemes industry.
CMS released its annual report for 2016-2017 last week, which provides a comprehensive report on the status of the private medical schemes industry in South Africa.
The 10 biggest schemes are by number of average beneficiaries are:
1. Discovery Health Medical Scheme: 2.707 million
2. Government Employees Medical Scheme (GEMS): 1.801 million
3. Bonitas Medical Fund: 676 785
4. South African Police Service Medical Scheme (Polmed): 497 129
5. Momentum Health: 257 371
6. Bankmed Restricted: 214 305
7. Bestmed Medical Scheme: 200 400
8. Medihelp : 195 858
9. Medshield Medical Scheme: 153 415
10. LA-Health Medical Scheme: 147 778
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE UPDATE: Get Fin24's top morning business news and opinions in your inbox.