Breather for MTN, others as Nigeria gives telecoms more time to register mobile users

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
  • Earlier this month, it was announced that telecoms operators would have until 30 December to block unregistered subscribers. 
  • Now, people with a national ID number have until 19 January to send their number to mobile operators, and people without a national ID number have until 9 February to get one and link their phones to it. 
  • There are nearly 200 mobile phones in Nigeria. 


Nigeria extended a deadline for telecoms operators to register mobile phone users, amid concerns that unregistered SIM cards are being used by criminals and insurgents, the government said.

As part of a drive to increase the use of ID cards, the Nigerian Communications Commission announced last week that telecoms operators would be given until December 30 to block subscribers who fail to link their mobile SIM cards with their national identity numbers.

With only about 20% of people in Africa's most populous nation carrying ID cards, the announcement was met with widespread anger across the country and industry analysts argued that the deadline was too short.

In a statement released on Monday, the ministry of communications and digital economy said the deadline was therefore being extended.

People with a valid national identification number have until January 19 to send the number to mobile operators to register their lines.

And people without a national identification number will have until February 9 to obtain one and link their mobile phones to it.

"The President appreciates Nigerians for their patience and commitment to update their identities," and "urges all stakeholders to take advantage of the extension to link their SIM card with their national identification number," the ministry statement said.

There are nearly 200 million mobile phones in use in Nigeria and the government registering them will help tackle insecurity and build a unified database.

In 2015, Africa's biggest wireless operator MTN was sanctioned after failing to disconnect 5.1 million subscribers in Nigeria, amid concerns the lines were being used by Boko Haram insurgents.

The company was initially fined $3.9 billion but after series of negotiations, the fine was reduced.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
ZAR/USD
15.08
(-0.84)
ZAR/GBP
20.99
(-0.56)
ZAR/EUR
18.14
(-0.45)
ZAR/AUD
11.76
(-0.98)
ZAR/JPY
0.14
(-0.56)
Gold
1729.40
(+0.32)
Silver
26.29
(-0.75)
Platinum
1183.01
(-0.13)
Brent Crude
63.29
(-1.13)
Palladium
2343.01
(+0.44)
All Share
68204.68
(+0.99)
Top 40
62783.38
(+1.09)
Financial 15
12539.65
(+0.67)
Industrial 25
89179.70
(+1.25)
Resource 10
69630.13
(+0.96)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, and I've gotten it.
21% - 1046 votes
No, I did not.
52% - 2613 votes
My landlord refused
28% - 1409 votes
Vote