Major breakthrough for private power providers as Ramaphosa makes big move

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: GCIS
President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: GCIS
  • South Africa has just seen a major breakthrough in private electricity provision, with President Cyril Ramaphosa announcing that businesses will now be allowed to generate power of up to 100 megawatts each, without a licence.
  • Currently, only 1 megawatt is allowed - and the new cap is much higher than expected.
  • While some fear that this may see Eskom approaching a death spiral, as large mining customers turn to private energy companies, Ramaphosa said it would herald a "rebirth" instead.  


In a massive breakthrough for private electricity provision in South Africa, businesses will now be allowed to generate power of up to 100 megawatts each, without a licence.

Previously, the maximum was 1 megawatt. 

Recently, Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Gwede Mantashe said the licencing threshold would be raised from 1MW to 10 MW. At the time he said that many in the market expressed they were not yet ready for 50 MW - which is the minimum capacity that the business sector wanted.

They received double that in an announcement by president Cyril Ramaphosa on Thursday. 

Ramaphosa said that companies made submissions to government and demonstrated that they had the ability to generate more energy. This in part motivated government to raise the threshold beyond 50 MW. A month-long bout of load shedding - which escalated to Stage 4 on Wednesday - may also have proved instrumental in the decision. 

"When the president was twisting my arm to move in this direction, I ultimately agreed," Mantashe said at the briefing on Thursday.

For comparison, 100 MW could power two large mines in South Africa. One of Koeberg's two units produce 900 MW - so just nine companies could together produce a similar load.

Companies will still be required to get a permit to connect to South Africa’s grid, to ensure there is grid compliance, he explained. But this will be much less onerous than getting a licence, Ramaphosa said. They will also be able to sell power to others, subject to charges and connection agreements with Eskom and relevant municipalities. The first permits should be issued within three months, he said.

The measure is expected to remove a "significant obstacle" to investment in embedded generation, Ramaphosa said.

The final version of the amendment to Schedule 2 of the Electricity Regulation Act, which enables the change, will be gazetted by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy within the next 60 days, or sooner.

The Minerals Council South Africa and BUSA have both welcomed the move. The Minerals Council estimates the development could lead to investment in new projects of about R27 billion. Previously the council said that mining companies have a pipeline of energy projects totaling about 1 500 megawatts that could be brought on stream within nine to 36 months.

A study by Meridian Economics found that if restrictions on embedded generation are lifted to 50 MW or higher, it could raise as much as 5000 MW to the grid.

In a separate statement BUSA said the regulatory amendment would ensure security of supply, investment, and growth, and up to 16 000 jobs can be created.

BUSA has also urged government to publish the amendments within 30 days. 

No Eskom death spiral

Ramaphosa said the additional energy supply would help reduce the burden on Eskom. "Our economy will be a winner. Eskom will emerge a winner. Some will argue we are taking bread out of Eskom's mouth, no we are not," Ramaphosa said. "We are adding capacity to Eskom."

Asked if this could start a death spiral for Eskom – with its large mining customers potentially now getting their electricity from other companies – Ramaphosa said that this may be a rebirth instead.

"Eskom will continue to be owned by government, by the sovereign," he said. Government will continue to support Eskom because it is too big to fail, he added. The power utility generates 45 000 MW of the country's power and will continue to be a "key generator" he said.

Government has also been encouraging Eskom to be active in the renewable energy space, he said.

"There is nothing that stops Eskom from getting into renewables … Eskom has a great future going forward."

He explained that the unbundling of Eskom into three entities would also allow more independent power producers and competition for Eskom in the generation space, which will ultimately be good for consumers.

"This is not the privatisation of Eskom, by no means no. It is not the death spiral of Eskom. It could be the rebirth of Eskom.

"Eskom needs to shed a portion of its skin to emerge as a new energy generator."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
14.22
+0.5%
Rand - Pound
19.81
-0.3%
Rand - Euro
16.95
+0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.73
-0.3%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.6%
Gold
1,782.99
+1.0%
Silver
25.95
+0.6%
Palladium
2,585.50
+4.8%
Platinum
1,056.01
+1.7%
Brent Crude
73.51
+0.6%
Top 40
59,472
-0.1%
All Share
65,564
-0.1%
Industrial 25
87,978
+0.0%
Financial 15
12,871
-1.0%
Resource 10
61,142
+0.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Should government have assigned a majority shareholding in SAA to the private sector?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, It's a good decision
65% - 248 votes
Not a good move
9% - 36 votes
Too early to tell
26% - 98 votes
Vote