New delay in emergency power deals, govt confirms

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
David McNew / Staff / Getty
  • South Africa’s plan to add an estimated R95 billion worth of private power generation has been further delayed. 
  • The signing of power purchase agreements by preferred bidders for the 2 000 megawatt emergency power programme was postponed due to “outstanding matters and conditions” with Eskom, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy confirmed.
  • Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Gwede Mantashe in February 2019 predicted that a programme to source up to half of that amount could be online within two years, though no new projects have been added to the grid.


South Africa’s plan to add an estimated R95 billion worth of private power generation has been further delayed. 

The signing of power purchase agreements by preferred bidders for the 2 000 megawatt risk mitigation, or emergency power, programme was postponed due to “outstanding matters and conditions” with Eskom, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy said in a reply to questions on Thursday.

The bidders whose 11 projects were selected and their lenders need “adequate time to undertake due diligence reviews of the project agreements,” it said. 

South Africa experienced record power cuts last year as Eskom has said that as much as 6 000 megawatts of additional generation capacity will be needed to secure the system. Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Gwede Mantashe in February 2019 predicted that a programme to source up to half of that amount could be online within two years, though no new projects have been added to the grid.

Eskom didn’t immediately reply to emailed questions. 

Additional efforts to fill the gap have continued to face delays. The winners of the emergency power programme were picked early last year, but the round has been tied up by a court case lodged by a losing bidder that’s prevented projects from achieving financial close, the deadline for which has been delayed several times. 

Projects selected last year in a fifth round, of South Africa’s previously successful auctions, to add 2 600 megawatts of renewable power were originally scheduled to complete financing in March but haven’t done so.

At the time they were announced, chosen projects for emergency power equated to R45 billion and the fifth renewable auction drew 25 successful wind and solar bids that would result in R50 billion of investment.   

Winning bidders in the emergency power round included Karpowership, TotalEnergies SE, Acwa Power Co., Electricite de France SA and Scatec ASA. Those in the renewable round included Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd., Scatec, Globeleq Inc, and African Rainbow Energy & Power.

Private developers have also awaited the opening of the sixth bid window for bids of another 2 600 megawatts of power, which Mantashe said would occur this month.

Consultations with Eskom over the emergency power agreements are underway and a new date for the signing will be communicated, the department said.  

- With assistance from Antony Sguazzin.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
16.27
-0.3%
Rand - Pound
19.81
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.05
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-0.6%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.9%
Gold
1,807.33
-0.6%
Silver
20.28
-2.2%
Palladium
1,938.00
-1.3%
Platinum
897.50
-2.2%
Brent Crude
116.26
-1.5%
Top 40
60,109
-2.4%
All Share
66,223
-2.3%
Resource 10
63,748
-3.2%
Industrial 25
79,405
-1.4%
Financial 15
14,686
-3.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot