New SARS boss Edward Kieswetter has vowed to restore public trust in the revenue service following several knocks to the organisation's integrity and a staff exodus, among other things.
"We are going to start work immediately...it's a daunting task. I am confident that this is something that we can fix," said Kieswetter.
Addressing media for the first time since the announcement of his appointment on Wednesday, Kieswetter said he would work to ensure "some level of continuity and focus on rebuilding the public confidence in the institution and the trust of our employees".
He said he was under no illusion that the job would be a "walk in the park".
Kieswetter, a former group chief executive of Alexander Forbes will start his five-year term on May 1. His appointment has largely been hailed as a good move in terms of bringing 'stability' to the revenue service.
Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said Kieswetter's appointment followed a recommendation by the Nugent Commission of Inquiry into the tax service. Its report on the administration and governance at SARS recommended that a new permanent head be appointed as soon as possible. Mark Kingon had been acting in the post since the suspension of former SARS boss Tom Moyane who was later axed by President Cyril Ramaphosa.
"I have no intention of interfering with his work,"said Mbowenin. "Except that he meets his revenue target."
Mboweni went on to say,"We have witnessed the destruction of a good institution, and the weakening of SARS has major implications on the functioning of the South African state," he added.
Meanwhile Kingon said he was ready to be deployed within the organisation.