ECB warns against 'abrupt' end to pandemic aid

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
ECB bank
ECB bank
Yann Schreiber / AFP

The European Central Bank warned Wednesday that a premature withdrawal of government support to the eurozone's pandemic-hit economies could derail the recovery and trigger a wave of bankruptcies.

An "abrupt" end to the measures could "result in a more severe economic contraction than during the first wave of the pandemic," the ECB said in its twice-yearly financial stability report.

Eurozone governments have taken unprecedented steps to shield companies and workers from the pandemic fallout, including through guarantees on bank loans and repayment moratoriums, massive short-time working schemes and aid for businesses hit by shutdowns.

Despite recent optimism about Covid-19 vaccines, "there is a long road ahead," ECB vice president Luis de Guindos said in a statement.

"Authorities will have to make difficult decisions on whether and how to extend policy measures and, eventually, deal with the debt they create," he said.

If fiscal support is not maintained for the full length of the crisis, firms most affected by social distancing restrictions "may face severe solvency issues or a more permanent disruption to their business models", even as other sections of the economy recover, according to the ECB report.

Concerns over a slew of bankruptcies are already high due to the levels of debt incurred by companies and households during the first wave of the pandemic.

ECB President Christine Lagarde has previously said her biggest concern was governments creating a "cliff effect" by taking away fiscal support before a full-fledged recovery was under way.

However, while government support schemes continue to be essential, they should "remain targeted towards pandemic-related economic support and avoid giving rise to debt sustainability concerns in the medium term," De Guindos said.

The ECB has said that its own pandemic stimulus package, which includes a €1.35-trillion emergency bond-buying scheme ($1.6 trillion) to help keep credit flowing, will continue until the "crisis phase is over".

In the previous edition of its report in May, the Frankfurt-based institution said the risk of the eurozone collapsing could re-emerge as public debt in some countries explodes to cope with the coronavirus shock.

Lagarde at the time however said she was "not overly concerned", and the risk is no longer mentioned in the latest report despite EU leaders bickering over a €750-billion recovery plan agreed in July.

Lagarde last week called for the Next Generation EU fund to become available "without delay".

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
14.62
+0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.31
+0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.35
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.73
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.0%
Gold
1,812.07
-0.1%
Silver
25.50
+0.1%
Palladium
2,679.73
+0.7%
Platinum
1,060.51
+0.8%
Brent Crude
75.41
+0.4%
Top 40
62,852
0.0%
All Share
68,971
0.0%
Resource 10
70,683
0.0%
Industrial 25
88,051
0.0%
Financial 15
12,906
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
In light of the recent looting, do you think a basic income grant is the right approach to deal with SA’s hunger and poverty problems?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It will go a long way in helping fight the symptoms of SA’s entrenched inequality, especially for those who are starving right now
20% - 1493 votes
SA’s problems are complex, and we instead need to spend that money on building and growing our economy, which will help the country in the long run
31% - 2314 votes
All grants are a problem as they foster a reliance on handouts
49% - 3656 votes
Vote