How up to date are you with current affairs? Find out by completing our latest quiz here.
Below are the answers to Quiz #244: 5 October-19 October, which appeared in the 8 October edition of the magazine.
1. The Competition Tribunal has approved the sale of Jet Stores to which giant retailer?
2. True or False? Airbus is discontinuing the manufacture of the A380, the world’s largest passenger plane.
3. In March 2020, the former Chinese ambassador to South Africa, Lin Songtian, was recalled to Beijing. Who is the new Chinese ambassador to South Africa?
4. is the owner of Burger King in South Africa.
Grand Parade Investments.
5. Name the minister of social development.
6. True or False? AstraZeneca is conducting Covid-19 vaccine trials in South Africa.
7. What is the title of the song by South African DJ and record producer Master KG, featuring vocalist Nomcebo Zikode, that has become a global phenomenon with more than 150m YouTube views?
8. True or False? South Africa has allowed travel from all of Africa from 1 October.
9. On 17 September, the South African Reserve Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee voted to keep the repo rate on hold at 3.5%. This leaves the total rate cut in 2020 at:
300 basis points.
BONUS QUESTION IN THE MAGAZINE:
True or False? Jan Smuts was the first prime minister of South Africa.
False. Louis Botha was the first Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa—the forerunner of the modern South African state.