MONEY CLINIC | Am I exempt from filing a tax return?

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The exemption will not apply if you receive any other form of income.
The exemption will not apply if you receive any other form of income.
Getty Images

With tax season in full swing, it is important to ensure that you are compliant and know your status, particularly if your circumstances have changed. In some instances, South African tax residents are not required to file a tax return.    

"This will likely apply to normal salaried employees whose only source of income is their salary," explains Ruan van Jaarsveld, tax manager at Hobbs Sinclair Advisory. If you are younger than 65 years old, the tax threshold (i.e., the amount above which income tax becomes payable) is R87 300 p.a.; if you are 65 years of age to below 75 years, the tax threshold is R135 150; and for taxpayers aged 75 years and older, this threshold is R151 100.

Van Jaarsveld looks at the circumstances in which an individual is not required to file a tax return.

Individuals are NOT required to submit tax returns if their gross income consists solely of one or more of the following categories of income:

1. Remuneration paid from a single source that does not exceed R500 000 and PAYE was deducted;

2. Amounts received or accrued from tax-free investments;

3. South African interest income (excluding tax-free investments) less than: 

a. R23 800 for individuals 65 years and younger,

b. R34 500 for individuals 65 years and older; 

4. Any dividends if you were non-resident throughout the year of assessment.

According to Van Jaarsveld, the exemption will not apply if you receive any other form of income, such as taxable interest, rental income, business income, a car or travel allowance or any fringe benefit, and you are not claiming tax-related deductions or rebates i.e., travel and medical expenses, or retirement annuity contributions over and above any pension contributions made by your employer.

Questions may be edited for brevity and clarity.

  • Have a money problem that needs solving? Fin24 can help! Send your question to

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

Government tenders

Find public sector tender opportunities in South Africa here.

Government tenders
This portal provides access to information on all tenders made by all public sector organisations in all spheres of government.
Browse tenders