MONEY CLINIC | I want to move in with my long-term partner. What should I know about insurance?

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Prior to the decision, according to a 2016 report, over 3. million South Africans who cohabited outside marriage would have been unable to claim either maintenance or inherit anything from their partner’s estate unless it was stipulated in a will.
Prior to the decision, according to a 2016 report, over 3. million South Africans who cohabited outside marriage would have been unable to claim either maintenance or inherit anything from their partner’s estate unless it was stipulated in a will.
katleho Seisa/Getty

The Constitutional Court recently ruled that partners in long-term relationships can inherit and claim maintenance from their deceased partner's estate – without a will.

The economic downturn and the psychological pressures of Covid-19 have led many couples to consider moving in together. While the prospect of spending more time with a significant other may sound appealing, it is important to understand the pros and cons of what you may be getting yourself into, especially when it comes to short-term insurance.

Marius Steyn and Marius Neethling, Personal Lines Underwriting Managers at Santam, list a few tips on what to consider before taking the next step.

Be fully covered

While the new Constitutional Court ruling may have you covered should your partner die, living with your partner presents slightly different challenges. For example, moving in together often results in a staggering amount of 'stuff.' Which means you and your partner or housemate will need to update the amount your household contents are insured for.

If your relationship is seen as serious (insurers look for things like how long you've been together, if you've co-purchased furniture, etc.), then an insurer will treat you the same as they would a married couple. This means you can take out a policy between you, the main policyholder and the additional insured.


  • The main policyholder will be paid out in the event of a claim. It'll then be up to him/her to pay the additional insured. Insurers don't get involved in these politics and are in no way responsible if the policyholder does not pay his/her partner or housemate. So, trust is important.
  • If you both have separate household contents policies with different insurers and wonder which insurer to go with, don't just pick the lowest premium price: consider the benefits and excesses – what you pay and what you receive in return.
  • Get your household contents evaluated (or do this yourselves using an online calculator) so you're confident that you're adequately covered for the current replacement value of a similar new property of all your combined items.
  • When your household contents are moving between properties, you should notify your insurer of the new address before the day you move.
  • It's in your interest to tell your insurer about all the security features of your new home. Generally, there will be specific security requirements to qualify for burglary and theft cover.

(Temporary) trouble in paradise 

It’s not common, but if you happen to argue and temporarily move out, taking some of your household contents with you, these items may still be covered in your temporary abode, providing this is a private building – not a tent or caravan, for example.

This only applies to a temporary situation, though – if it’s a permanent split, then you’ll need your own new policy. 

Vehicle insurance is also important

Remember to add your partner as a regular driver on your policy if they use your vehicle more frequently than you do. 

If the relationship doesn’t work out

If, sadly, the relationship comes to an end, then you should get your own policy as soon as possible, especially if you have one policy between you, but you’re not the main policyholder.

Remember, if you’re the additional insured, it’s up to the policyholder to pay you in the event of a claim, which could get difficult if you’re not together anymore.

Questions may be edited for brevity and clarity.

  • Have a money problem that needs solving? Fin24 can help! Send your question to

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

Get the biggest business stories emailed to you every weekday.

Go to the Fin24 front page.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

Government tenders

Find public sector tender opportunities in South Africa here.

Government tenders
This portal provides access to information on all tenders made by all public sector organisations in all spheres of government.
Browse tenders