Vodacom asked to delay ‘Please Call Me’ settlement money

Vodacom waarsku dat die mark baie mededingend is.
Vodacom waarsku dat die mark baie mededingend is.

Johannesburg - Vodacom has been told to delay full payment to a former employee credited with the idea for a popular calling service, pending the outcome of a dispute between the person and the company that helped fund his eight-year legal battle.

Sterling Rand, which found financial backers for Kenneth Makate as he pursued Vodacom Group for compensation for ‘Please Call Me’, has told the Johannesburg-based wireless operator to withhold at least 50% of any settlement, a letter sent on behalf of Sterling Rand by lawyers Fairbridges Wertheim Becker shows.

Sterling Rand is concerned that Makate and his lawyers, Stemela & Lubbe, will agree to a deal that excludes the company. Makate didn’t respond to messages on Facebook and Twitter seeking comment.

“We can confirm we have received this request,” Vodacom spokesperson Byron Kennedy said by e-mail on Thursday.

“However, our focus is on compliance with the order of the Constitutional Court which requires us to negotiate in good faith with Mr Makate."

The dispute comes a month after South Africa’s highest court ruled that Vodacom must compensate Makate for the ’Please Call Me’ idea, which allows customers with no balance on their mobile phones to alert someone with a free text message.

Vodacom’s former CEO Alan Knott-Craig had been wrongly credited with the innovation, the Constitutional Court ruling showed.

Makate may be entitled to as much as R10.5bn, with Sterling Rand due half the amount for taking on the funding risk, South Africa’s Mail & Guardian newspaper reported earlier this month, citing Makate’s legal counsel.

According to the letter, Makate had agreed that the litigation financiers must give written consent to any settlement reached, unless it exceeded R650m. The dispute surrounds whether or not Makate validly canceled this agreement with Sterling Rand.

If Vodacom does not agree to the request, an urgent application will be asked for by the courts, according to the letter dated May 23.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
ZAR/USD
16.19
(-0.10)
ZAR/GBP
21.11
(-0.12)
ZAR/EUR
19.19
(-0.12)
ZAR/AUD
11.55
(-0.13)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(-0.14)
Gold
1901.55
(+0.01)
Silver
24.57
(+0.10)
Platinum
902.03
(+0.40)
Brent Crude
41.85
(-1.66)
Palladium
2378.04
(+0.61)
All Share
55339.58
(+0.99)
Top 40
50692.28
(+0.83)
Financial 15
10790.70
(+3.99)
Industrial 25
74905.70
(+1.05)
Resource 10
52561.57
(-0.49)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo
Company Snapshot
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, and I've gotten it.
23% - 65 votes
No, I did not.
51% - 142 votes
My landlord refused
25% - 70 votes
Vote