Post Office appoints new acting CEO

accreditation
The SA Post Office was put under administration in November last year after a protracted four-month illegal strike. Picture: Emile Hendricks/Foto24
The SA Post Office was put under administration in November last year after a protracted four-month illegal strike. Picture: Emile Hendricks/Foto24

Johannesburg - The South African Post Office (Sapo) has appointed a new acting group chief executive officer after Mlu Mathonsi stepped down for “personal reasons” earlier this month.

Sapo said in a statement that its board, together with the Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services Dr Siyabonga Cwele, has appointed Trevor Ndlazi as acting group CEO for the next three months.

“Currently Group Executive: Strategy and Sustainability; Mr Ndlazi possesses an MBA (Banking), BCom (Hons), BA (Hons), IMM Graduate Diploma, post-graduate diploma in Management and a BA in Industrial Psychology,” said Sapo in a statement.

“He brings into the new role more than 20 years of corporate experience and over 15 years’ experience in various roles in the field of strategy. He has held a wide range of positions in various companies in the private and public sector,” said the company.

Sapo further said that the search for a permanent group CEO is underway.

The Post Office has suffered instability at the top amid a struggling financial situation in which it has struggled to pay full salaries this month.

Sapo’s board also resigned in November 2014 after a months-long crippling strike. The state-owned company at the time was further put under administration by government.

Subsequently, government instituted a turnaround process at Sapo in a bid to salvage the company.

“The stabilisation of leadership at the SA Post Office, as driven by the Board of Directors and the Minister, is progressing well. The ultimate business goal is to put in place a strong leadership team which will drive the business transformation within the organisation,” said Dr Lushaba, chairperson of the Board of the SA Post Office, in a statement.

The Post Office’s turnaround process has still come with its risks as the Communication Workers Union (CWU) held a Johannesburg march against the struggling parastatal on Thursday.

CWU originally expected a turnout of 4 000 of its members but fewer workers attended the march after the Post Office won an urgent court interdict against strike action on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Sapo spokesperson Khulani Qoma told Fin24 on Friday that services are back to “100%” at its branches in Gauteng following the Thursday march. He added that only about 100 Sapo workers joined the CWU march on Thursday.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Rand - Dollar
16.10
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
21.32
+0.2%
Rand - Euro
18.21
+0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.28
+0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.14
+0.3%
Gold
1,783.48
0.0%
Silver
22.55
0.0%
Palladium
1,816.00
0.0%
Platinum
936.31
0.0%
Brent Crude
69.88
+0.3%
Top 40
64,307
-0.4%
All Share
70,808
-0.3%
Resource 10
66,503
-1.6%
Industrial 25
93,791
+0.1%
Financial 15
13,982
+0.7%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Company Snapshot