There are many things you can do to keep your colon healthy and happy and regular without resorting to harsh laxatives and purging and colon cleansing.
- Ensure that your diet is balanced and rich in dietary fibre, both soluble and insoluble (unsifted and unprocessed grains and cereals, fruit and vegetables, legumes).
- Eat foods that contain oligosaccharides, such as asparagus, onions, garlic, and mushrooms
- Eat a daily portion of yoghurt and fermented milk products
- Take microflora supplements which contain Lactobacilli, or Bifidobacteria (you can purchase these products at health shops and some chemists)
- Drink sensible amounts of water (3-4 cups a day) to help with peristalsis and to regulate bowel movements
- Do regular exercise like going for brisk walks to stimulate your overall metabolism and get your digestive tract functioning properly.
- Learn to relax - excessive stress can cause diarrhoea or constipation